Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Integrating culture teaching as a component of English Language instruction in elementary schools of Taipei county
Chiang, Hsiao Hui
Chiang, Hsiao Hui
|Issue Date: ||2016-05-09 15:44:41 (UTC+8)|
Nowadays the policy of implementing children’s English education has become a growing trend in non-English speaking countries all over the world. The purpose of this study was to provide a vehicle offering alternatives and assistance for English language teachers to prepare students and advance language competence through integrating culture teaching into their instruction. The present study was designed to investigate (1) English language teachers’ concept of culture; (2) goals of culture teaching; (3) strategies of culture teaching and (4) evaluation after culture was included in teaching.
A total of 201 questionnaires were completed online and three elementary school English language teachers in Taipei County were interviewed. Based on one way ANOVA, results form the questionnaires indicated that there were significant differences among the above mentioned aspects and the subjects’ background variables: age, highest educational status, educational background, teaching hours of English language instruction per week, and frequency of integrating culture teaching into English language instruction. Results from interviews revealed that “holiday teaching” was adopted by most English language teachers when they integrated culture teaching into English language instruction. Observation of students’ learning attitude was the most common form of evaluation after culture teaching. English language teachers and the other parties, including the government, the educational authorities, textbook writers, and publishers can also consider this subject more seriously and take action to integrate culture teaching as a component into English language instruction in elementary schools.
Key words: culture teaching, English language instruction, elementary schools
|Reference: ||1. Armstrong, T. (2000). Multiple Intelligences in the Classroom. Alexandria, Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
2. Bennett, J. M., Bennett, M. J., and, Allen W. (2003). Developing Intercultural Competence in the Language Classroom. Culture as the Core: Perspectives on Culture in Second Language Learning. D. L. Lange and R. M. Paige. Greenwich: Information Age Publishing, Inc.
3. Brooks, N. (1964). Language and Language Learning: Theory and Practice. New York: Harcourt, Brace & World, Inc.
4. Brown, D. H. (2002). Strategies for Success: A Practical Guide to Learning English. New York: Addison Wesley Longman, Inc.
5. Brown, H. D. (1986). Learning a Second Culture. Culture Bound: Bridging the Cultural Gap in Language Teaching. J. M. Valdes, ed. Cambridge, New York, Cambridge University Press: Pp.33-48.
6. Brown, H. D. (2000). Principles of Language Learning and Teaching. White Plains, NY: Longman.
7. Brown, H. D. (2001). Teaching by Principles: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy. White Plains, NY, Longman.
8. Byram, M. (1989). Cultural Studies in Foreign Language Education. Clevedon, Philadelphia: Multilingual Matters, Ltd.
9. Crystal, D. (2006). English Worldwide. A History of the English Language. R. Hogg and D. Denison, eds. Cambridge, CUP: Pp.420-439.
10. Damen, L. (1987). Culture Learning: The Fifth Dimension in the Language Classroom. Mass., Addison-Wesley Publishing Company.
11. Doff, A. (1995). Teach English: A Training Course for Teachers: Teacher's Workbook. New York: Cambridge University Press.
12. Dunnett, S. C., F. Dubin, and Lezberg A.(1986). English Language Teaching from an Intercultural Perspective. Culture Bound: Bridging the Cultural Gap in Language Teaching. J. M. Valdes, ed. New York: Cambridge University Press: Pp.148-161.
13. Ellis, G. and J. Brewster (2002). Tell it Again! The New Storytelling Handbook for Primary Teachers. London: Pearson Education Ltd.
14. Guest, M. (2002). A Critical Checkbook for Culture Teaching and Learning; ELT Journal 56(2):154-61.
15. Hall, E. T. (1959). The Silent Language. Garden City, NY: Doubleday.
16. Hughes, G. H. (1986). An Argument for Culture Analysis in the Second Language Classroom. Culture Bound: Bridging the Cultural Gap in Language Teaching. J. M. Valdes, ed. New York: Cambridge University Press: Pp.162-69.
17. Katchen, J. E. (1990). Ethnic Diversity: An Important Component of American Culture. The Seventh National Conference on the Teaching of English. Taipei: Crane Publishing, Ltd.
18. Klein, F. M.-V. (2004). Culture in the Foreign Language Classroom: Teachers' Beliefs, Opportunities and Practice. University of Minnesota. Ph.D. Thesis.
19. Kowalski, C. (2002). Storytelling in the Language Classroom. The Eleventh International Symposium and Book Fair on English Teaching. Taipei: Crane Publishing, Ltd.
20. Kroeber, A. L. and C. Kluckhohn (1952). Culture: A Critical Review of Concepts and Definitions. Taiwan.
21. Lado, R. (1986). How to Compare Two Cultures. Culture Bound: Bridging the Cultural Gap in Language Teaching. J. M. Valdes, ed., New York: Cambridge University Press: Pp.52-63.
22. Lange, D. L. and R. M. Paige (2003). Culture as the Core: Perspectives on Culture in Second Language Learning. Greenwich: Information Age Publishing.
23. Ministry of Education (2003). General Guidelines of Grade One to Nine Curriculum Guidelines for Elementary and Junior High School Education. Taipei: Ministry of Education.
24. Morain, G. G. (1986). Kinesics and Cross-Cultural Understanding. Culture Bound: Bridging the Cultural Gap in Language Teaching. J. M. Valdes, ed., Cambridge, New York: Cambridge University Press: Pp.64-76.
25. Moran, P. R. (2001). Teaching Culture: Perspectives in Practice. Australia; Boston, Mass., Heinle & Heinle.
26. National Standards in Foreign Language Education Project (1999) Standards for Foreign Language Learning in the 21st Century. Yonkers, NY.
27. Paige, R. M., Jorstad, H. L., Siaya, L., Klein, F., and, Colby, J. (2003). Culture Learning in Language Education: A Review of the Literature. Culture as the Core: Perspectives on Culture in Second Language Learning. D. L. Lange and R. M. Paige, eds. Greenwich: Information Age Publishing: Pp. 173-236.
28. Pauchulo, A. L. (2005). Culture Teaching in the Foreign Language Classroom: A Descriptive Case Study of Two University Introductory Spanish Courses. York University. Master’s Thesis.
29. Robins, R. H. (1989). General Linguistics: An Introductory Survey. New York: Longman.
30. Samovar, L. A., R. E. Porter, et al. (1998). Communication between Cultures Belmont, CA., Wadsworth Publishing Co.
31. Sapir, E. (1961). Culture, Language and Personality. Berkeley: University of California Press.
32. Saville-Troike, M. (2003). Extending "Communicative" Concepts in the Second Language Curriculum: A Sociolinguistic Perspective. Culture as the Core: Perspectives on Culture in Second Language Learning. D. L. Lange and R. M. Paige, eds.: Pp. 3-17.
33. Schulz, R. A. (2007). The Challenge of Assessing Cultural Understanding in the Context of Foreign Language Instruction. Foreign Language Annals 40(1): Pp.9-26.
34. Scott, W. A. and L. H. Ytreberg (2002). Teaching English to Children. New York: Longman Education, Ltd.
35. Seelye, H. N. (1993). Teaching Culture: Strategies for Intercultural Communication. Lincolnwood: National Textbook Co.
36. Slattery, M. and J. Willis (2001). English for Primary Teachers: A Handbook of Activities & Classroom Language. New York: Oxford University Press.
37. Tishman, S., Perkins, D. and Jay, E (1995). The Thinking Classroom: Learning and Teaching in a Culture of Thinking. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
38. Tomalin, B. and S. Stempleski (1993). Cultural Awareness. New York: Oxford University Press.
39. Tsai, Y.-J. (2001). Culture and English Teaching: How Do Secondary English Teachers Conceptualize and Instruct Culture? Taipei: National Normal University. Master’s Thesis.
40. Tylor, E. B. (1958). Primitive Culture. New York: Harper.
41. Valdes, J. M., Ed. (1986). Culture Bound: Bridging the Cultural Gap in Language Teaching. New York: Cambridge University Press.
42. Valette, R. M. (1986). The Culture Test. Culture Bound: Bridging the Cultural Gap in Language Teaching. J. M. Valdes, ed. New York: Cambridge University Press: Pp. 179-97.
43. Valle, M. R. (1999). Foreign Language Teachers’ Views of Culture: An Exploratory Study. University of Oregon. Ph.D. Thesis.
44. Wardhaugh, R. (1992). An Introduction to Sociolinguistics. Cambridge, MA: Blackwell Publisher.
45. Yang, C.-C. (2003). Chiayi & Tainan Elementary School English Teachers' Opinion Survey toward Culture Teaching. Nan-Tai Technology University. Master’s Thesis.
46. Yo, V. (2007). Teaching Culture in EFL Classrooms: Taipei City Elementary English Teachers' View and Practice of Culture. National Taipei University of Education. Master’s Thesis.
47. Yu, Y.-M. (2002). Cultural Awareness in the EFL Classroom. Taipei, National Chengchi University Master’s Thesis.
|Source URI: ||http://thesis.lib.nccu.edu.tw/record/#G0095924004|
|Data Type: ||thesis|
|Appears in Collections:||[台灣研究英語碩士學程(IMTS)] 學位論文|
Files in This Item:
All items in 政大典藏 are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved.