Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Value Constellation: a Perspective Based on Patent Strategy and Patent Litigation
Chang, Hsun Fang
Yuan, Soe Tysr
Chang, Hsun Fang
|Issue Date: ||2013-10-01 11:58:58 (UTC+8)|
Service has been widely recognized as value co-creation yielding useful change those results from purposeful interactions among distinct service system entities. In addition, value does not occur in sequential chains but in complex constellations, in which system entities engage in both tangible and intangible exchanges to achieve economic or social good. Intellectual Property (IP) is getting more and more attention with the increasingly recognized importance of intangible assets. Especially with the rapid growth of technology, patent is indispensable for companies to strategically manage their prized knowledge, do business and make patent strategy. Litigation, nowadays, also plays an important role among firms, such as enterprises taking litigation as a means to forge an alliance to prevent being involved in lawsuit war, to compete with their competitors so as to snatch the key technology or monopolize the market, etc. The purpose of this study is to devise an IT-facilitated approach aiming at visualizing possible ways of value constellations using the identified strategic operant resources across different enterprises from the perspective of patent strategy and patent litigation. This approach, assisted by Google API and external IP knowledge bases, can facilitate enterprises to well perceive the whole allied and competitive situations between business strategy and patent strategy, reducing human resource and budget in exploring the network of actors and their relationships that can jointly create value from the IP intangible asset perspective.
|Reference: ||1. Achrol, R. S., and Kotler, P. 1999. "Marketing in the network economy," Journal of Marketing (63), pp. 146–163.|
2. Allee, V. 2008. "Value Network Analysis and value conversion of tangible and intangible assets," Journal of Intellectual Capital (9:1), pp. 5-24
3. Alter, S. 2002. "Information Systems, the Foundation of E-business," Prentice-Hall, January.
4. Black, F., and Scholes, M. 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy (81:3), pp. 637–654.
5. Boar, B. H. 1994. "Practical Steps for Aligning Information Technology with Business Strategies, How to Achieve a Competitive Advantage," John Wiley & Sons, December, New York.
6. Bontis, N. 2000. "Assessing knowledge assets: a review of the models used to measure intellectual capital," International Journal of Management Reviews, (3:1), pp. 41-60
7. Collan, M., Fullér, R., and Mezei, J. 2009. "Fuzzy Pay-Off Method for Real Option Valuation", Journal of Applied Mathematics and Decision Sciences.
8. Collan, M., and Heikkilä, M. 2011. "Enhancing Patent Valuation with the Pay-off Method," Journal of Intellectual Property Rights (16), September, pp 377-384.
9. Council of Labor Affairs published by Taiwan Executive Yuan. 1996. "Standard Industrial Classification, "
available at: http://www.cla.gov.tw/cgi-bin/siteMaker/SM_theme?page=44ea9450, retrial date: 2012-09-25
10. D'aveni, R. A., and Gunther, R. E. 1995. "Hypercompetitive Rivalries: Competing in Highly Dynamic Environments," Free Press, New York.
11. d.school. 2009. “The Bootcamp Bootleg,” Institute of Design at Stanford.
12. Ernst, H. 2003. "Patent information for strategic technology management,"World Patent Information (25), pp. 233–242.
13. Fenwick & West LLP. 2005. "Patent Litigation," October 17
14. Gomes-Casseres, B. 1994. "Group versus group: How alliance networks compete,"Harvard business review.
15. Grindley, P.C., and Teece, D.J. 1998. "Managing intellectual capital: licensing and cross-licensing in semiconductors and electronics,"IEEE ENG MANAGE REV (26: 2), pp. 92-111.
16. Guellec, D., and Potterie, B.V. 2000. "Applications, grants and the value of patent," Economics Letters (69), pp. 109–114.
17. Hamel, G., and Prahalad, C.K. 1994. "Competing for the Future," Harvard School Business Press, Boston, (16).
18. Harris, R.G. 2001. "The knowledge‐based economy: intellectual origins and new economic perspectives,"International Journal of Management Reviews (3:1) pp. 21–40.
19. Harhoff, D., Scherer, F., and Vopel, K. 2003. "Citations, family size, opposition and the value of patent rights,"Research Policy (32), pp. 1343–1363.
20. Hall, B.H., Jaffe, A., and Trajtenberg, M. 2000. "Market value and patent citations: a first look," NBER Working Paper (7741), June.
Hevner, A. R., Marchm, S. T., Park, J., and Ram, S. 1991. "Evolution of the marketing organization: New Frontiers for Turbulent Environments," Journal of Marketing (55), October, pp. 77–93.
21. International Chamber of Commerce. 2005. "Intellectual Property: Source of innovation, creativity, growth and progress".
22. Jeon, J., Lee, C. and Park, Y. 2011. "How to Use Patent Information to Search Potential Technology Partners in Open Innovation,"Journal of Intellectual Property Rights (16), September, pp. 385-393.
23. Jou, Y.P. 2006. "虎與狐的智慧力－智慧資源規劃九把金鑰," 天下文化出版社.
24. Lamb, R.B. 1984. "Competitive strategic management," June.
25. Lanjouw J. O., and Schankerman M. 2000. "Characteristics of Patent Litigation: A Window on Competition,"The RAND Journal of Economics.
26. Lanjouw, J.O., and Schankerman, M. 2011. "Characteristics of Patent Litigation: A Window on Competition," The RAND Journal of Economics, (32:1),pp. 129-151
27. Lusch,R.F. and Vargo, S. L. 2006. "Service-dominant logic: reactions, reflections,"Marketing theory(6:3), pp. 281-288.
28. Lee, S., Geum, Y., Yoon, B., Kim M., and Shin J. 2010. "Strategic partner selection for collaborative R&D: Literature-based technology intelligence,"R&D Management Conference, June-July.
29. Murrah, M.L. 2002. "Implementing a Strategy Patent Program," LES Annual Meeting, Sept.
30. Macdonald, S. 2004. "When means become ends: considering the impact of patent strategy on innovation,"Information Economics and Policy (16), pp. 135–158
31. Machlup, F. 1958. "An Economic Review of the Patent System," Studies of the US Patent System No. 15, US Senate Sub-committee on Patents, Trademarks and Copyrights, USGPO, Washington DC.
32. Mossinghoff, G., and Bombelles, T. 1996. "The importance of intellectual property protection to the American research-intensive pharmaceutical industry,"Columbia Journal of World Business (31:1), pp. 38–48.
33. Meurer, M.J. 1989. "The Settlement of Patent Litigation," The RAND Journal of Economics (20:1), pp. 77-91.
34. Madhavan, R., Koka, B., and Prescott J. 1998. "Networks in transition: how industry events (re)shape interfirm relationships," Strategic Management Journal (19), pp. 439-459.
35. Nag, R., Hambrick, D. C., and Chen, M. J. 2007. "What is strategic management, really? Inductive derivation of a consensus definition of the field," Strategic Management Journal, (28:9), September, pp. 935-955.
36. NormannR., and Ramírez R. 1993. "From Value Chain to Value Constellation: Designing Interactive Strategy," Harvard Business Review, (71), July-August, pp. 65-77.
37. OECD Conference. 2004. "Networks, Partnerships, Clusters and Intellectual Property Rights: Opportunities and Challenges for Innovative SMEs in a Global Economy," June.
38. Peppard, J., and Rylander, A. 2006. "From Value Chain to Value Network: Insights for Mobile Operators," European Management Journal (24:2), pp 128-141
39. Poltorak, A. I. 2011. "Patent War,"Wall Street Journal, April 5.
40. Porter, M.E. 1980. "Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors," The Free Press, New York.
41. Rivette, K. G., and Klein, D. 2000. "Rembrandts in the Attic: Unlocking the Hidden Value of Patents," Harvard Business School Press, Boston.
42. Saldana, J. 2008. "An Introduction to Codes and Coding," September.
43. Smith, L. 2009. "Valuation of Intellectual Property", Current Topics in ISM.
44. Silverman, A. 1990. "Intellectual property law and the venture capital process,"High Technology Law Journal (5:1), pp. 157–192.
45. S&P 500. 2006. "The power of intangible assets," April-May.
46. Stephen, R. 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory (13:3), pp. 341–360.
47. STPI. "全球5大廠專利交叉結盟策略鞏固LED市場大餅,"
available at: http://cdnet.stpi.org.tw/techroom/pclass/201/pclass_11_A103.htm,
retrial date: 2012-05-03.
48. STPI. "再談專利布局,"
available at: http://cdnet.stpi.org.tw/techroom/pclass/2008/pclass_08_A022.htm, retrial date: 2012-05-10.
49. STPI. "利用Google Patent 來一場人類科技發展虛擬之旅," available at: http://cdnet.stpi.org.tw/techroom/pclass/pclass014.htm, retrial date: 2012-09-20.
50. STPI. "LED照明系統訴訟，飛利浦控告Nexxus Lighting," available at: http://iknow.stpi.narl.org.tw/Post/Read.aspx?PostID=7004, retrial date: 2012-09-25.
51. STPI. "專利策略與策略性專利," available at: http://cdnet.stpi.org.tw/techroom/pclass/2008/pclass_08_A021.htm, retrial date: 2012-10-14.
52. STPI. "美國專利訴訟案件統計 (含美國國際貿易委員會ITC337調查及美國聯邦地方法院)," available at: http://cdnet.stpi.narl.org.tw/techroom/pclass/2012/pclass_12_A146.htm, retrial date: 2012-10-16.
53. Sullivan, P. H. 2000. "Value-driven Intellectual Capital: How to Convert Intangible Corporate Assets into Market Value," John Wiley & Sons, New York.
54. Todeva, E., and Knoke D. 2005. "Strategic Alliances and Models of Collaboration," Management Decision (43:1), pp.123-148.
55. U.S. 6999800. 2006. "Method for power management of a smart phone," Google Patent.
56. Vargo, S. L. and Lusch, R. F. 2004. "Evolving to a New Dominant Logic for Marketing,"Journal of Marketing 68,January, pp.1 – 17.
57. Webster, F. 1992. "The changing role of marketing in the corporation," Journal of Marketing (56), October, pp. 1–17.
58. World Economic Forum. 2010-2011. "GlobalCompetitivenessReport".
Ziedonis, R.H. 2003. "Patent Litigation in the U.S. Semiconductor Industry,"Patents in the Knowledge-Based Economy, p180.
|Source URI: ||http://thesis.lib.nccu.edu.tw/record/#G0100356009|
|Data Type: ||thesis|
|Appears in Collections:||[資訊管理學系] 學位論文|
Files in This Item:
All items in 政大典藏 are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved.