Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title: ||台灣消費性IT產品進入俄羅斯市場的策略 – 以華碩公司為例|
Entry strategies for Taiwan IT consumer products companies to achieve commercial success in Russian Market – A case study of Asus
Hsu, Mu Yen
Russian Market Entry Strategies
IT Consumer goods
|Issue Date: ||2010-12-08 01:53:44 (UTC+8)|
|Abstract: ||Many companies from around the world enter the global market. The firms have to specialize in order to sustain their competitiveness. Many Taiwanese companies are export-oriented. The major export markets are Japan, the US and Europe for those Taiwan companies. But these markets are mature and the growth rate is low unlike Russian market. That is why many Taiwan companies entered or plan to enter Russian market.
Due to the fact that Russia is a potentially big market and geographically far from Taiwan-ROC, and a fast developing economy, establishing business in Russia is certainly interesting. According to the Bureau of Foreign Trade, Ministry of Economic Affairs Taiwan- ROC, mutual trade in 2009 posted US$2,9 billion, Bureau of Foreign Trade (2010).
While many companies show great interest in entering the Russian market, there still seems to be some kind of hesitation due to the special nature of the Russian market. In this thesis I will focus on an emerging Russian market and its appeal to foreign companies, namely Taiwanese company such as Asus which made its path into Russian market. Target is to describe Asus initial entry strategies.
There are many external factors affecting entry strategies picked up by firms around the world. Legal, political, cultural and institutional factors are just some of the many factors that should be dealt with when operating business on a foreign turf.
Many people want to know more on Russian market business experiences, it is hard to find any particular works/papers which can describe a current situation and lead them to commercial success. Russian Federation is a very complex region with its own traditions and business culture.
What particular Foreign Operation Methods should a company choose? Indeed choosing right FOM represents a critical component of international business activity. Once described as a ”frontier issue” in international business, researchers as well as practitioners now regard it as fundamental to any discussions about international business strategies and the performance by companies in the international arena.
Despite the fact that in Russian Federation the cost of opening a business is higher than in most other countries and many other destabilizing factors, Asus has found its path to success.
How was it possible? What are the lessons one can learn from that experience? The purpose of the thesis is to find out the success factors of Asus as well as study its entry strategy. The research purposes of this paper are as follows:
1. To review the related literature of Entry Strategies
2. To study Russian market
3. To analyze Asus initial entry strategies and analyze its Russian business
Chapter 1. Introduction 3
1.1 Background 3
1.2 Problem Statement 4
1.3 Purpose 4
1.4 Method 5
Chapter 2. Literature Review 7
Chapter 3. Russian Market 14
2.1 General environment 14
2.2 Russian notebook market 18
2.3 Distribution channels 22
2.4 Regulation, electricity, consumer protection, standards 27
Chapter 4. Case study 29
Chapter 5. Conclusion 46
1. Bilgin, F., Sriram, V., & Wuhrer, G. (2004). Drivers of Global Business Success: Lessons from Emerging Markets. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
2. Czinkota, M., Ronkainen, I., & Moffett, M. (2008). Fundamentals of International Business. Wessex Publishing.
3. Gorchels, L., West, C., & Marien, E. (2004). The Manager’s Guide to Distribution Channels. McGraw-Hill.
4. Kotler, P., & Keller, K. (2006). Marketing Management. Upper Saddle Rive: Prentice-Hall.
5. Luo, Y. (2002). Multinational Enterprises in Emerging Markets. Copenhagen: Copenhagen Business School Press.
6. Miller, R. (1998). Selling to Newly Emerging Markets. Greenwood Publishing Group.
7. Welch, L., Benito, G., & Petersen, B. (2007). Foreign Operation Methods: Theory, Analysis, Strategy. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd.
8. Anderson, J., & Markides, C. (2007). Strategic Innovation at the base of the Pyramid. MIT SLOAN management review , 85-88.
9. Butler, S. (2008 ). Russian's revolution . Management Today , 53-56.
10. Cameron, N. (2010, March 24). Getting the right message. ARN , p. 18.
11. Kudina, A., Yip, G., & Barkema, H. (2008). Born global. Business Strategy Review , 38-44.
12. Murray, J. (1996). A Currency Exchange Rate-driven vs.Strategy- driven Analysis of Global Sourcing. Multinational Business Review , 40-51.
13. Saunders, A. (2007, February). Samsung: Korean Sony killer. Management Today , 28-33.
14. Shankar, S., Ormiston, C., Bloch, N., Schaus, R., & Vijay, V. (2008). How to win in Emerging markets. MIT SLOAN management review (Spring), 19-23.
15. BusinessWeek. (2009, June 1). The Infotech 100. BusinesWeek , pp. 39-42.
16. Dean, J. (2008, March 28-30). From small base in Taiwan, handful of tech titans rule. The Wall Street Journal , p. 34.
17. Dvorak, P. (2009, June 2). Frequent contact helps bridge global divide. The Wall Street Journal, pp. 19-19.
18. ASUSTeK Computer Inc. (n.d.). Origins of the Name "ASUS". Retrieved September 1, 2010, http://www.asus.com/ContentPage.aspx?Content_Type=AboutASUS&Content_Id=9
19. ASUSTeK Computer Inc. (2010, May). Rekomendovannye ceny na bazovye konfiguracii noutbukov ASUS. Retrieved September 1, 2010, from http://www.asusnb.ru/cgi-bin/extra.pl
20. Baksht, K., Trifonov, A., Lomovickaja, O., & Dashkov, D. (2008, November 3). Sil'nyj ASUS. Retrieved September 1, 2010, from http://www.mybiz.ru/index.php?page=3104
21. Bureau of Foreign Trade, T.-R. (n.d.). Trade Statistics. Retrieved April 01, 2010, from Bureau of Foreign Trade, Taiwan-ROC: http://cus93.trade.gov.tw/ENGLISH/FSCE/
22. Campbell, S. (2010, February 10). 2010 Channel Chiefs: 10 Rules For A Channel Playbook. Retrieved September 1, 2010, from CRN: http://www.crn.com/news/channel-programs/223000374/2010-channel-chiefs-10-rules-for-a-channel-playbook.htm
23. Cnews.ru. (2003, 06 03). Boris Khobod: Brand prodvigayut ne distributory a krupnye dilery.
Retrieved 01 22, 2009, from Cnews.ru:
24. CRN. (2007, November 23). «Obratnaja storona» distribucii. Retrieved September 1, 2010,
25. Gukkin, A. (2006, January 16). Aleksandr Gukkin: Ravnenie na strategiju "Polnaja distribucija". Retrieved September 1, 2010, from http://www.cnews.ru/reviews/index.shtml?2006/01/16/194400_1>.
26. IDC Russia/CIS. (2009, March 4). According to the quarterly IDC reports, Russian PC market grew by 8.4% in 2008 year. Retrieved September 1, 2010, from http://www.idcrussia.com/about/press/pressRelease-33a-RU-ru_RU.jsp
27. ITResearch. (6 April 2010 r.). ITResearch obyavila itogi 2009 year na Rossijskom IT-rynke. Retreived 1 September 2010., from http://www.itresearch.ru/press-center/news/detail.php?ID=13313
28. ITresearch. (2010, september 30). Schstlivchiki i neudachniki rossijskogo rynka noutbukov. Retrieved October 01, 2010, from www.itbestsellers.ru: http://www.itbestsellers.ru/news/detail.php?ID=17196
29. Kasperskaja, N. (12 April 2010 r.). Kak zavoevyvat novye rynki bez bolshikh poter. Retrieved 1 September 2010 r., from Forbes.ru: http://www.forbes.ru/column/48203-kak-zavoevyvat-novye-rynki-bez-bolshih-poter
30. Knjazev, K. (2009, January 12). Mihail Lukashevich: "Krizis mozhet posluzhit' novym tolchkom k razvitiju". Retrieved September 1, 2010, from http://it-times.ua/articles/market/157/
31. Kondrat'ev, I. (2005, November 8). Aleks Kim: "V Rossii nam nado bolee ser'ezno razvivat' korporativnyj segment". Retrieved September 1, 2010, from http://www.pcweek.ru/themes/detail.php?ID=74934
32. Korogod, S. (2008, May 8). ASUS - podvedenie itogov dejatel'nosti za god i prezentacija novyh serij noutbukov. Retrieved September 1, 2010, from http://www.ixbt.com/portopc/asus-april2008-m70.shtml
33. Kozharov, J. (2002, March 21). PC market distribution review. Retrieved September 1, 2010, from http://www.marketing.spb.ru/mr/it/computer-01.htm
34. Lapinskij, I. (2008, April 1). “Nasha strategija prinosit horoshie rezul'taty”. Retrieved September 1, 2010, from http://www.asusnb.ru/cgi-bin/show_news.pl?option=FullNews&id=399
35. Lej, C., & Sardarjan, A. (2008, February 1). Johny Shi. Retrieved September 1, 2010, from http://www.mybiz.ru/index.php?page=3058
36. Malahov, A. (2007, October 8). "Sobirat' v Rossii mozhet byt' vygodno razve chto nastol'nye komp'jutery". Retrieved September 1, 2010, from http://www.kommersant.ru/doc.aspx?DocsID=812279
37. Mercer. (2008 ). Cost of living reports 2008 edition . Retrieved 08 19, 2009, from Mercer : http://www.mercer.com/summary.htm?idContent=1314675
38. Noble, S., Shenkan, A., & Shi, C. (2009, October). The promise of multichannel retailing. McKinsey Quaterly.
39. Semenov, S. (2008, June 11). A competition in Russian NB market becomes fiercer. Retrieved September 1, 2010, from http://www.cnews.ru/reviews/free/notebook2008/articles/market.shtml
40. PwC.(2008). Doing business in Russia. Retrieved June 01, 2009, from PwC:http://www.pwc.com/en_RU/ru/globalisation/assets/pwc_doing_business_in_russia08.pdf
41. Wilson, D., & Purushothaman, R. (2003, 10 01). Dreaming with BRICs: the path to 2050. Retrieved 01 22, 2009, from Goldman Sachs: http://www2.goldmansachs.com/ideas/brics/book/99-dreaming.pdf
42. «Svoj biznes». (2008, June 22). Produkty ASUS – kachestvennaja tehnika dlja biznesa. Retrieved September 1, 2010, from http://www.mybiz.ru/page-2781#questions
43. Shu, S. (2009, 10 01). Entry strategies, distributors and dealing with the channel. (K. Manjekhanov, Interviewer) Taipei, Taiwan.
|Source URI: ||http://thesis.lib.nccu.edu.tw/record/#G0963590371|
|Data Type: ||thesis|
|Appears in Collections:||[科技管理研究所] 學位論文|
Files in This Item:
All items in 政大典藏 are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved.