|題名: ||探索中國電信設備行業的競爭優勢 - 以華為為例|
Exploring the Competitive Advantages of China’s telecommunication equipment industry: the case of Huawei
|上傳時間: ||2018-05-02 15:47:27 (UTC+8)|
Purpose – The fast growth and global success of China’s ICT industry suggests the presence of national competitive advantages. The purpose of this study is to examine these competitive advantages and draw conclusions about their influence on company performance using the case of Huawei.
Design/methodology/approach – Using the Porter Diamond Theory of National Advantage the study analyses the development of China’s telecommunication equipment industry and existing competitive advantages. Using the case of Huawei, the author explores the impact of Porter’s determinants on the company’s growth and global success.
Findings – The study finds that China’s telecom equipment industry leveraged basic factors such as a large pool of low-cost labor while gradually developing more sustainable advantages. The Chinese government played a major role in driving initial demand for telecom equipment and facilitating the development of China’s ICT sector by opening its market to foreign investment and promoting innovation. Although the national competitive advantages elaborated in this study certainly helped the industry to excel, Huawei’s global success is also tied to its early decision to focus on R&D instead of relying on foreign technology. The additional support Huawei received from Beijing, particularly after being selected as a national champion, helped it in numerous ways but might hinder Huawei’s growth due to an increased negative image, particularly in the United States.
Research implications – This research adds to the body of literature on the creation of national competitive advantages and their influence on the development and success of domestic industries.
• Ahrens, N. (2013). China’s Competitiveness Myth, Reality, and Lessons for the United States and Japan. Center for Strategic and International Studies. Retrieved from: https://www.csis.org/programs/japan-chair/japan-chair-archives/chinas-competitiveness-myths-realities-and-lessons-united
• Adnan, H. (2018, Mar 26) Riding on superior talent. The Star Online. Retrieved from: https://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2018/03/26/riding-on-superior-talent/
• Atsmon, Y., Dixit, V., Magni, M., St-Maurics, I. (2010, Oct). China’s New Pragmatic Consumers. McKinsey Insights China. Retrieved from: https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/marketing-and-sales/our-insights/chinas-new-pragmatic-consumers#0
• Barbieri, E., Huang, M., Di Tommaso, M. R., Lan, H. (2013). "Made‐in‐ China: high‐ tech national champions of business excellence", Measuring Business Excellence, Vol. 17 Issue: 2, pp.48-60. Retrieved from: https://doi.org/10.1108/13683041311329438
• Bajpai, P. (2017, Oct 12). Why China is “The World’s Factory”. Investopedia. Retrieved from: http://investopedia.com/articles/investing/102214/why-china-worlds-factory.asp
• Bannerman, N. (2018, Mar 15). Ericsson, Nokia loose infrastructure market share while Huawei continues to grow. Global Telecom Business. Retrieved from: https://www.globaltelecomsbusiness.com/article/b17fclrwd6688v/ericsson-nokia-lose-infrastructure-market-share-while-huawei-continues-to-grow
• Boddewyn, J. (1965, Dec 4). The Comparative Approach to the Study of Business Administration. The Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 261-267.
• Burkitt-Gray, A. (2016, Apr 1). Huawei becomes biggest equipment vendor. GTB. Retrieved from: https://www.globaltelecomsbusiness.com/article/b11vy66gvv4pz2/huawei-becomes-biggest-equipment-vendor
• Byrnes, N. (2017, Mar 16). Competing with the Chinese Factory of 2017. MIT Technology Review. Retrieved from: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/603848/competing-with-the-chinese-factory-of-2017/
• Bulloch, D. (2017, Dec 8). China is not a Market Economy, And the WTO Won’t Survive Recognizing It As Such. Forbes. Retrieved from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/douglasbulloch/2017/12/08/china-is-not-a-market-economy-and-the-wto-wont-survive-recognising-it-as-such/#29b6d79437fc
• Cao, X. (2017, Jun 18). Marketing Strategies of Chinese Mobile Phone MNCs in the European Market : - A Case Study of Huawei (Dissertation). Retrieved from: http://urn.kb.se/resolve?urn=urn:nbn:se:lnu:diva-65622
• Campbell, J. R. (2013, April). Becoming a Techno-Industrial Power: Chinese Science and Technology Policy. Technology Innovation, Number 23. Washington DC: Brookings Institution. Retrieved from: https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/29-science-technology-policy-china-campbell.pdf
• CEIC. (n. d.). China Exports: Telecommunication Equipment 1995-2016. Retrieved from: https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/china/exports-telecommunication-equipment
• CEIC. (2018). China Labour Productivity Growth 1949-2017. Retrieved from: https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/china/labour-productivity-growth
• CEIC. (2018). United States Labour Productivity Growth 1949-2017. Retrieved from: https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/united-states/labour-productivity-growth
• Cendrowsky, S. (2014, Dec 12). Can China’s smartphone makers thrive in countries which take IP rights seriously? Ask Xiaomi. Fortune. Retrieved from: http://fortune.com/2014/12/12/can-chinas-smartphone-makers-thrive-in-countries-which-take-ip-rights-seriously-ask-xiaomi/
• CGS. (n. d.). Mineral Resources in China. Retrieved from: http://en.cgs.gov.cn/Facts/201603/t20160309_266146.html
• Chafkin, M., Brustein, J. (2018, Mar 22). Why America Is So Scared of China’s Biggest Tech Company. Bloomberg. Retrieved from: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-03-22/why-america-is-so-scared-of-china-s-biggest-tech-company
• Chen, L. K., Mourshed, M., Grant, A. (2013, May). The $250 billion question: Can China close the skills gap? McKinsey Insights. Retrieved from: https://www.mckinsey.com/~/media/mckinsey/industries/social%20sector/our%20insights/the%20250%20billion%20question%20can%20china%20close%20the%20skills%20gap/the%20dollar%20250%20billion%20question%20can%20china%20close%20the%20skills%20gap.ashx
• China’s patent office now the world’s biggest, UN innovation report finds. (2012, Dec 12). UN News. Retrieved from: https://news.un.org/en/story/2012/12/428082-chinas-patent-office-now-worlds-biggest-un-innovation-report-finds
• China’s Middle Class Is Pulling Up the Ladder Behind Itself. (2018, Feb 1). Foreign Policy. Retrieved from: http://foreignpolicy.com/2018/02/01/chinas-middle-class-is-pulling-up-the-ladder-behind-itself/
• Cisco Keeps Lead in Switching and Routing. (2017, Nov 27). Network Computing. Retrieved from: https://www.networkcomputing.com/networking/cisco-keeps-lead-switching-and-routing/586448813
• CSCO Company Financials (2018, Mar 26). Nasdaq. Retrieved from: https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/csco/financials?query=income-statement
• Conti, J. P. (2007, Aug). Profile Huawei: From China with Love. Communications Engineer, Vol: 5, Issue: 4, pp. 26–31, at p. 27.
• Comparison of Huawei, Ericsson and Nokia revenue in 2016. (2017, Mar 31). Telecomlead. Retrieved from: http://www.telecomlead.com/telecom-statistics/comparison-huawei-ericsson-nokia-revenue-2016-75768
• Dambrāns, K. (2016, Jan 16). How China’s Huawei is taking on Samsung and Apple. The Conversation. Retrieved from: http://theconversation.com/how-chinas-huawei-is-taking-on-samsung-and-apple-52838
• Ding, L. (2000). China's Telecommunications Infrastructure Buildup: On Its Own Way. Deregulation and Interdependence in the Asia-Pacific Region, NBER-EASE Volume 8, pp. 371-413. Retrieved from: http://papers.nber.org/books/ito_00-1
• Duhigg, B., Bradscher, K. (2012, January 21) How the U.S. Lost Out on iPhone Work. The New York Times. Retrieved from: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/business/apple-america-and-a-squeezed-middle-class.html
• Fan, P. (2010). Catching‐ up through staged development and innovation: The case of Chinese telecom companies. Journal of Science and Technology Policy in China, Vol. 1, Issue: 1, pp. 64-91. Retrieved from: https://doi.org/10.1108/17585521011032559
• Francis R. I., Chailan. C. (2011) Improving global competitiveness with branding strategy: Cases of Chinese and emerging countries' firms. Journal of Technology Management in China, Vol. 6, Issue: 1, pp. 84-96. Retrieved from: https://doi.org/10.1108/17468771111105677
• Frolovskik, D. (2017, Dec 29). China’s Education Boom. The Diplomat. Retrieved from: https://thediplomat.com/2017/12/chinas-education-boom/
• Gilley, B. (2000, Dec 28). Huawei’s Fixed Line. Far Eastern Economic Review. Pp. 94-98. Retrieved from: http://www.web.pdx.edu/~gilleyb/Huawei_FEER28Dec2000.pdf
• Gou, Z. (2006, Jun). Innovation in China’s Electronic Information Industry. Management Forum – China Communications. Retrieved from: http://unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/public/documents/APCITY/UNPAN027039.pdf
• Grant, R. M. (1991, Oct). Porter's 'Competitive Advantage of Nations': An Assessment. Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 12, No. 7, pp. 535-548
• Haley, U. C.V., Haley, G. T. (2013, Apr 25). How Chinese Subsidies Changed the World. Harvard Business Review. Retrieved from: https://hbr.org/2013/04/how-chinese-subsidies-changed
• Harwit, E. (2007). Building China's Telecommunications Network: Industrial Policy and the Role of Chinese State-Owned, Foreign and Private Domestic Enterprises. The China Quarterly, (190), 311-332. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/20192772
• Huang, Y. (2015, Nov 19). Virtues and pitfalls of China’s state-driven growth. Asia & The Pacific Policy Society. Retrieved from: https://www.policyforum.net/virtues-and-pitfalls-of-chinas-state-driven-growth/
• 华为总裁任正非:企业家中的学毛标兵 (Huawei CEO Ren Zhengfei: Entrepreneurs Study Mao Model). (2010, Dec 27). Fenghuang Wang (Phoenix News Network). Retrieved from: http://tech.ifeng.com/telecom/special/huaweifeichangdao/detail_2010_10/27/2918621_0.shtml
• Huawei .(2016, Feb 26). Top of the world again, HUAWEI leads in 2015 patent application rankings. Retrieved from: https://consumer.huawei.com/en/press/news/2016/hw-u-017502/
• Huawei (2017, Feb). Huawei in global top three for smartphone market share. Retrieved from: http://consumer.huawei.com/en/press/news/hw-u_035103.htm
• Huawei (2017). Huawei Investment & Holding Co., Ltd. 2016 Annual Report. Retrieved from: http://www-file.huawei.com/-/media/CORPORATE/PDF/annual-report/AnnualReport2016_en.pdf
• IDC (2017, July 10). Smartphone Vendor Market Share, 2017 Q1. Retrieved from: http://www.idc.com/promo/smartphone-market-share/vendor
• ITA. (2017, Jul 25). China-Technology and ICT. Retrieved from: https://www.export.gov/article?id=China-Technology-and-ICT
• ITA (2017, Jul 20). China -1- Openness to, & Restrictions Upon Foreign Investment. Retrieved from: https://www.export.gov/article?id=China-1-Openness-to-Restrictions-Upon-Foreign-Investment
• J.P. Morgan. (2016, Oct). New Skills At Work – Skills Shortages in the Chinese Labour Market. Retrieved from: https://www.jpmorganchase.com/corporate/Corporate-Responsibility/document/skillsgap-in-chineselabor-market-exec-summary.pdf
• Jones, C. (2017, Nov 20). No Surprise That Apple’s iPhone Dominates Smartphone Profits. Forbes. Retrieved from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2017/11/20/no-surprise-that-apples-iphone-dominates-smartphone-profits/#6045aa5bf8ce
• Kuo, K. (2006, Dec 11). China Pursues Africa Deals. Red Herring. Retrieved from: https://www.siemens.be/cmc/newsletters/index.aspx?id=13-621-17892
• Steenkamp, J.-B., Kumar, N. (2013). How Emerging Market Brands Will Go Global. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
• Lelyveld, M. (2017, Apr 4). China’s Oil Import Dependence Climbs as Output Falls. Radio Free Asia. Retrieved from: https://www.rfa.org/english/commentaries/energy_watch/chinas-oil-import-dependence-climbs-as-output-falls-12042017102429.html
• Li, M. & Wang, J. (2009). China's Telecommunications Industry: Transformation and Challenges. Economic Policies and Social Welfare in the 21st Century: Challenges and Responses for China and Thailand. Retrieved from: http://www.encyclopedia.com/international/applied-and-social-sciences-magazines/chinas-telecommunications-industry-transformation-and-challenges
• Lim, B. K., Rabinovitch, S. (2010, Dec 3). China mulls $1.5 trillion strategic industries boost: sources. Reuters. Retrieved from: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-economy-investment/china-mulls-1-5-trillion-strategic-industries-boost-sources-idUSTRE6B16U920101203
• Low, B. (2007). Huawei Technologies Corporation: from local dominance to global challenge?. Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, Vol. 22, Issue: 2, pp. 138-144.
• Marjanovic, A. (2013, Feb 27). Huawei’s “Make it Possible” Campaign Aims to Beat Samsung and Apple. Brandingmag. Retrieved from: https://brandingmag.com/2013/02/27/huawei-make-it-possible-campaign/
• Martin, J., Zhai, K. (2017, Oct 13). Is Xi a Threat to Foreign Businesses in China?. Bloomberg. Retrieved from: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-12/is-xi-a-threat-to-foreign-businesses-in-china
• McDonald, J. (2017, Dec 18). China’s Huawei to Expand in US Smartphone Market Next Year. Associated Press. Retrieved From: https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2017-12-18/chinas-huawei-to-expand-in-us-smartphone-market-next-year
• Miu, R., Chong, T.-S., Leung, C. (2017, Jul 24). One Belt One Road Infrastructure Sector. DBS Asian Insights SparX. Retrieved from: https://www.dbs.com/aics/templatedata/article/generic/data/en/GR/092017/170927_insights_one_belt_one_road_moving_faster_than_expected.xml#
• MOFCOM. (2009, March 22) Natural Resources of the People’s Republic of China. Retrieved. from: http://no2.mofcom.gov.cn/article/aboutchina/climate/200903/20090306117658.shtml
• Montlake, S. (2012, Dec 7). Chinese Policy Bank helps ZTE, Huawei To Fly The Flag. Forbes. Retrieved from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonmontlake/2012/12/07/chinese-policy-bank-helps-zte-huawei-to-fly-the-flag/#21d8571e632d
• Myers, D. (2016, Mar 4). Carrier VoIP and IMS Market Has Best Year Ever in 2015. IHS Markit. Retrieved from: http://news.ihsmarkit.com/press-release/technology/carrier-voip-and-ims-market-has-best-year-ever-2015
• NOK Company Financials. (2018, Mar 26). Nasdaq. Retrieved from: https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/nok/financials?query=income-statement
• OECD. (2005, Dec 12). China overtakes U.S. as world’s leading exporter of information technology goods. Retrieved from: http://www.oecd.org/general/chinaovertakesusasworldsleadingexporterofinformationtechnologygoods.htm
• OECD. (2016). Labour productivity and utilization - Labour productivity, Annual growth rate (%), 2016. Retrieved from: https://data.oecd.org/lprdty/labour-productivity-and-utilisation.htm#indicator-chart
• China to cultivate more skilled workers. (2017, Mar 22). People’s Daily Online. Retrieved from: http://english.gov.cn/state_council/ministries/2017/03/22/content_281475603387437.htm
• Pomfret, John. (2010, Oct 8). “History of Telecom Company Illustrates Lack of Strategic Trust between U.S., China”. Washington Post. Retrieved from: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/07/AR2010100707210.html?wprss=rss_business
• Porter, Michael E. (March, 1990) “The Competitive Advantage of Nations” Harvard Business Review, March-April Issue. Retrieved From: https://hbr.org/1990/03/the-competitive-advantage-of-nations
• Qie Y., Li X. (2004, May). 华为出海 (Huawei goes out to sea). 经济导刊 (Economic Herald).
• Roll, M. (2016). Asian Brand Strategy (Revised and Updated): Building and Sustaining Strong Global Brands in Asia. Palgrave Macmillan.
• Rehm, L. (2018, Mar 27). Huawei P20 Pro camera review: Innovative technologies, outstanding results. DXOMARK. Retrieved from: https://www.dxomark.com/huawei-p20-pro-camera-review-innovative-technologies-outstanding-results/
• Reisinger, D. (2014, Apr 23). Huawei sets to spend $300M on global marketing in ’14. CNET. https://www.cnet.com/news/huawei-set-to-spend-300-million-on-global-marketing-this-year/
• Sanderson, H. and Forsythe, M. (2013). China's Superbank: Debt, Oil and Influence - How China Development Bank Is Rewriting the Rules of Finance. Singapore: Bloomberg Press.
• Shao, K. (2012, Apr). History is the key to understanding Huawei. The Conversation. Retrieved from: https://theconversation.com/history-is-the-key-to-understanding-huawei-5994
• Shepard, W. (2016, May 25). China's Huawei 'Growing Up' To Become The World's No. 1 Smartphone Brand. Forbes.
• Sin, B. (2017, Mar 31). Huawei Sold More Phones, Made More Money, But Less Profits, Why? Forbes. Retrieved from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/2017/03/31/huawei-sold-more-phones-made-more-money-but-less-profits-why/#5eb508c7f83a
• Sun, S.-L. (2009). Internationalization Strategy of MNEs from Emerging Economies: The Case of Huawei. Multinational Business Review, Vol. 17 Issue: 2, pp.129-156 (downloaded)
• Sung, Y. (2005). The Emergence of Greater China - The Economic Integration of Mainland China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan.
• Steenkamp, J.-B. (2017) Global Brand Strategy: World-wise Marketing in the Age of Branding. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
• Hydropower remains China’s prime renewable energy in 2017. (2018, Feb 7). Retrieved from: http://www.sxcoal.com/news/4568393/info/en
• Tang, H. (2017, Oct 18). Xi Jinping makes promises for China’s economic future. CNBC. Retrieved from: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/18/xi-jinping-makes-big-promises-for-chinas-economic-future.html
• Telecommunications Equipment. (n.d.). Retrieved from: https://www.gartner.com/it-glossary/telecommunications-equipment
• Telecommunications Equipment. (n.d.). Retrieved from: https://www.techopedia.com/definition/30400/telecommunications-equipment
• UNESCO, Institute for Statistics. (2018). Research and Development expenditure (% of GDP). Retrieved from: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/GB.XPD.RSDV.GD.ZS?locations=CN-US-JP&year_high_desc=true
• United Nations Conference on Trade and Development. (2018). Merchandise trade matrix - detailed products, exports in thousands of dollars, annual, 1995-2016. Retrieved from: http://unctadstat.unctad.org/
• Uria-Reco, P., O‘ Connor, D. (2004). China Telecommunications Panorama. Retrieved from: https://www.casaasia.eu/articulo/detalle/17025-panorama-de-las-telecomunicaciones-en-china?
• Wang, F. (2010, Dec 27). 华为总裁任正非:企业家中的学毛标兵 (Huawei CEO Ren Zhengfei: Entrepreneurs Study Mao Model). 凤凰网 (Phoenix News Network). Retrieved from: http://tech.ifeng.com/telecom/special/huaweifeichangdao/detail_2010_10/27/2918621_0.shtml
• Who’s afraid of Huawei? (2012, Aug 4). The Economist. Retrieved from: https://www.economist.com/node/21559922
• Woetzel, J., Chen, Y., Seong, J., Leung, N., Sneader, K., Kowalski, J. (2016, Jun). Capturing China’s $5 trillion productivity opportunity. McKinsey Global Institute. Retrieved from: https://www.mckinsey.com/~/media/McKinsey/Global%20Themes/Employment%20and%20Growth/Capturing%20Chinas%205%20trillion%20productivity%20opportunity/MGI-Chinas-Choice-Full-report.ashx
• Woo, S. (2018, Mar 23). New FCC Rule Would Step Up U.S. Fight Against China’s Huawei. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved from: https://www.wsj.com/articles/fcc-considering-new-rule-to-further-curb-huaweis-u-s-business-1521825967
• World Bank. (2017). The World Bank in China. Retrieved from: http://www.worldbank.org/en/country/china/overview
• World Economic Forum. (2017). The Global Competitiveness Report 2017-2018. Geneva: World Economic Forum. Retrieved from: http://www3.weforum.org/docs/GCR2017-2018/05FullReport/TheGlobalCompetitivenessReport2017–2018.pdf
• WIPO. (2017, Mar 15). Record Year for International Patent Applications in 2016; Strong Demand Also for Trademark and Industrial Design Protection. Retrieved from: http://www.wipo.int/pressroom/en/articles/2017/article_0002.html#accordion__collapse__01
• WIPO. (2018, Mar 21). China Drives International Patent Applications to Record Heights; Demand Rising for Trademark and Industrial Design Protection. Retrieved from: http://www.wipo.int/pressroom/en/articles/2018/article_0002.html
• Huawei sales up 32 percent in 2016. (2017, Mar 31). Xinhuanet. Retrieved from: http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-03/31/c_136174805.htm
• Ying F., "The globalisation of Chinese brands". Marketing Intelligence & Planning, Vol. 24 Issue: 4, pp.365-379 (downloaded)
• Ypsilanti, D.,Plantin, A. (1991). Telecommunications Equipment: Changing Markets and Trade Structures. OECD Publishing. p. 16
• Zhang, C. (2016, June). “Brand Positioning Strategies of the Rising Chinese Smartphone Brands”. Labbrand. Retrieved from: http://labbrand.com/brandsource/issue-article/brand-positioning-strategies-rising-chinese-smartphone-brands
• ZTE Corp H. (n. d.). Morningstar. Retrieved from: http://financials.morningstar.com/income-statement/is.html?t=00763®ion=hkg&culture=en-US
• ZTE. (n. d.). Annual Report. Retrieved from: http://www.zte.com.cn/global/about/investorrelations/corporate_report